Modeling City Systems - A Platform-based Approach for Climate-aware Integrated City Plannig and Management
In addressing the challenges to meet the 2050 Greenhouse Gas reduction targets for Europe coupled with the aspirations to improve sustainability and liveability, it is critical that city planners, developers and decision-makers have the capacity to understand how city systems operate, how they interact, and what impact changes to systems has on the system itself and other interacting systems. The growing complexity of city systems and the added complexity of external and growing pressures means that solutions which model, analyse, and help to operationalize systems are more needed than ever before, and inherently require a greater degree of sophistication than ever before.
This project builds on the work of the Sustainable City Systems Platform, which has identified urban design, planning and management solutions as one of the biggest opportunity areas for the Climate-KIC and therefore one of three priority areas for 2014
City planners today are challenged by progressing climate-change, missing urban resources, demographic and economical pressures. The transition to becoming a 2kW- and 1t CO2 society comes with large uncertainties. Among the impending urban challenges the most challenging might be: can we arrive at integrated and systemic approaches for urban planning and management? Can we arrive at a cross-disciplinary dialogue for climate-aware and resource-efficient planning and management of cities? Can we co-create an economically vital innovation community that provide simplified access to novel solutions for climate- and resource-friendly cities on multiple scales of business? Can we bring complex system interdependencies together as that we can allow “little information” for smart decision-making and still use limited information and yet arrive at smart decision-making?
Climate-KIC and especially the Sustainable Cities System challenge platform (SCS) within Climate-KIC (CKIC) provide already an environment for innovating and deploying next-generation solutions for sustainable urban futures. With this present proposal SCS proposes a program of activities, which aims to integrate CKIC best practises, running and future CKIC projects into a modular ICT platform for city systems. The Modelling City Systems programme will be co-created by internationally renowned academic and leading business partners of Climate-KIC. The programme will develop and deliver a suite of analysis, design, and operational execution solutions to support the modelling, development and implementation of sustainable cities and districts across Europe and more widely. It is intended to be an on-going programme for the Climate-KIC and partners, and build upon many other Climate-KIC programmes and projects arriving at integrated and comprehensive solutions for sustainable urban futures.
The Modelling City Systems programme will provide
(a) Novel approaches for Climate Change mitigation and adaptation in the form of new marketable products, incorporated into a data architecture, solutions and workflows for different use cases
- A Climate-KIC community-driven approach to bridge, foster and outreach
- inter-Climate-KIC- project collaboration,
- reutilisation and transfer of Climate-KIC KPIs as platform solutions to partner projects and cities, and to scope
- coordinated activities innovation, education and entrepreneurship activities.
(b) An online market place through key Climate-KIC business partners and thus a core repository of innovative solutions and guidelines for integrated, climate-aware planning and management of cities in Europe and abroad.
Key activities of the programme will include an incubator base to co-ordinate, to integrate and to scope development of all related activity being undertaken with full Climate-KIC support. Further Modelling City Systems act as the catalyser to these Climate-KIC-based solutions for application in relevant Climate-KIC and partner projects and cities as well as abroad the European context through an online ICT marketplace for integrated city planning and management.
European Institute of Innovation and Technology (eit) - Climate-KIC
- Prof. Dr. Thomas H. Kolbe
- Maximilian Sindram
- Kanishk Chaturvedi
- Mostafa ElFouly
- Zhihang Yao
- ETH Zürich
- Imperial College London
- Intitute for Sustainability London
- TU Berlin
- TU München
- Integrating Dynamic Data and Sensors with Semantic 3D City Models in the context of Smart Cities. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, 201611th 3D Geoinfo Conference more… BibTeX
- Voluminator 2.0 - Speeding up the Approximation of the Volume of Defective 3D Building Models. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, 2016 more… BibTeX
- Managing versions and history within semantic 3D city models for the next generation of CityGML. Selected papers from the 3D GeoInfo 2015 Conference (Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography), Springer, 2015 more… BibTeX
- Web-based Exploration of and Interaction with Large and Deeply Structured Semantic 3D City Models using HTML5 and WebGL. Bridging Scales - Skalenübergreifende Nah- und Fernerkundungsmethoden, 35. Wissenschaftlich-Technische Jahrestagung der DGPF, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung und Geoinformation e.V., 2015 more… BibTeX
- General Indicator Modeling for Decision Support based on 3D City and Landscape Models using Model Driven Engineering. Peer Reviewed Proceedings of Digital Landscape Architecture 2015 at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, Wichmann, 2015 more… BibTeX
- Voluminator - Approximating the Volume of 3D Buildings to Overcome Topological Errors. AGILE 2015 - Geographic Information Science as an Enabler of Smarter Cities and Communities (Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography), Springer, 2015Selected papers of the 18th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, 343-362 more… BibTeX
- Simulation-Based Total Energy Demand Estimation of Buildings using Semantic 3D City Models. International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling 3 (2), 2014, 35-53 more… BibTeX
- Modeling of Urban Planning Actions by Complex Transactions on Semantic 3D City Models. Proceedings of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs), International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs), 2014 more… BibTeX
- Semantische Modellierung von Maßnahmen als Transaktionen auf den Entitäten virtueller 3D-Stadtmodelle. Geoinformationen öffnen das Tor zur Welt, 34. Wissenschaftlich-Technische Jahrestagung der DGPF (Publikationen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung, Geoinformation e.V.), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung, Geoinformation e.V., 2014 more… BibTeX
- Cloud-basierter Webclient für kollaboratives Arbeiten auf semantischen 3D-Stadtmodellen. Geoinformationen öffnen das Tor zur Welt, 34. Wissenschaftlich-Technische Jahrestagung der DGPF (Publikationen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung, Geoinformation e.V.), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung, Geoinformation e.V., 2014 more… BibTeX
- Cloud-basierter 3D-Webclient zur kollaborativen Planung energetischer Maßnahmen am Beispiel von Berlin und London. In: Geoinformationssysteme 2014. Wichmann, 2014 more… BibTeX